Hard to believe that 2009 is less than four hours away! Those who have followed my other blogs over the years know that it's time to review my 2008 resolutions! Here we go:
1. Lose a minimum of ten pounds. YEEEEEESSSSSSSS! I NOT ONLY LOST 10 POUNDS BY APRIL, I LOST 13 MORE BY OCTOBER FOR A TOTAL OF 23 POUNDS!!!
2. Complete all Certifications in progress and pursue further education. I RECEIVED MY BOB ROSS TEACHING CERTIFICATION ON JANUARY 25TH! IT’S ONE OF THE GREATEST THINGS I’VE EVER DONE FOR MYSELF AND I LOOK FORWARD TO TEACHING FOREVER. AS FOR MY MICROSOFT CERTIFICATION, I COMPLETED ALL OF MY CLASSES, BUT DROPPED OUT OF THE CERTIFICATION BECAUSE MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007 WAS RELEASED SHORTLY AFTER, AND I HATE IT, ALONG WITH WINDOWS FREAKING VISTA! HAD XP AND OFFICE ‘03 BEEN THE MAINSTAY, I WOULD HAVE STUCK WITH THE CERTIFICATION. INSTEAD, I ENROLLED AS A FRESHMAN AT BISHOP STATE COLLEGE IN GENERAL STUDIES AND HAVE A 3.75 GPA.
3. Find an acceptable job while striving for a permanent career. I DID SEVERAL TEMP JOBS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR AND DID MANAGE TO GET ESTABLISHED AS A PAINTING INSTRUCTOR. UNFORTUNATELY IT BARELY PAYS A DIME, SO I AM STILL IN DIRE NEED OF A JOB.
4. Get involved (and/or stay involved) in one or more ministries and charities. I STAYED INVOLVED IN ALL OF MY CHARITIES, PRIMARILY A MILLION THANKS, HOMESPUN HELPERS, AND PENELOPE HOUSE FAMILY VIOLENCE SHELTER.
5. Be more health-conscious, make good choices, and improve my overall well-being. THANKS TO TEAM SCHEFFY, I FOUND THE SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT THAT I NEEDED TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. I DEVELOPED NEW EATING HABITS AND EXERCIZED AS MUCH AS MY BODY ALLOWED (WHICH ISN’T MUCH BUT I DID WHAT I COULD). AS A RESULT, I REACHED MY WEIGHT GOAL AND IMPROVED MY BLOOD PANEL NUMBERS (GLUCOSE, CHOLESTEROL, TRIGLYCERIDES) TO A SHOCKING EXTENT. ALL ARE ALMOST IN THE NORMAL RANGE, AND CONSIDERING MY GENES, THIS IS A MIRACLE!
6. Increase my level of social and organizational skills. BECOMING A PAINTING INSTRUCTOR BROUGHT ME OUT OF MY SHELL QUITE A BIT. I AM MUCH MORE OUTGOING NOW, AND SOMETIMES I DON’T KNOW WHEN TO SHUT UP! I STILL NEED TO IMPROVE UPON MY CASUAL FACE TO FACE INTERACTION, AND FIND FRIENDS IN MY CITY.
7. Read more, write more, and learn more. I DIDN’T LEARN WHAT I PLANNED THIS YEAR, BUT I DEFINITELY LEARNED A LOT AS WELL AS READ MORE AND WROTE MORE. THIS IS THANKS TO ATTENDING MY FIRST SEMESTER OF COLLEGE AS WELL AS JOINING WRITING.COM.
8. Be a better friend and relative. THIS IS ALWAYS ON MY LIST, AND I NEVER REALLY KNOW HOW WELL I’VE DONE. I THINK THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT, AT LEAST FOR ME.
There you have it. As for 2009, I decided that I wanted to do something different this year, so I have four goals that will be "mainstays"...those that I put on the list every year. Then I will have six goals for the coming year. Here they are in no order of importance:
Maintain a healthy weight and keep blood panel numbers at an acceptable level by living a healthy lifestyle.
Stay involved in one or more charities/ministries.
Read more, write more, and learn more.
Be a good friend and relative.
Goals for 2009
1. Continue my education, either in college or with Bob Ross, Inc.
2. Find stable employment and reduce debt as much as possible.
3. Go to church regularly and/or schedule a weekly Bible study.
4. Utilize my time more wisely by developing routines and following a schedule.
5. Have a piece of art in a show or fair.
6. Try at least a dozen new recipes.
That's it! I'm going to do my best to achieve every goal on this list. Now one more thing...a friend suggested that I think about and post a few accomplishments, because remembering the good things that occured over the past year is a healthy and free dose of therapy. Great idea, Marilyn...thanks!
This year, I:
Went on my first road trip alone to a place I had never been before, and loved it!
Made my childhood dream come true by training in the Bob Ross painting technique!
Successfully taught eleven painting classes this year!
FINALLY completed my first semester of college even though I was very ill from a kidney obstruction, resulting in two surgical procedures. I managed to finish the summer semester with a 3.75 GPA!
Makes me happy. :) God willing, I will accomplish much more in the coming year. In conclusion, I hope everyone has a safe, happy, and prosperous 2009!
(You have the turn the volume WAY up to hear me...sorry!)